The main office

 

vulci castello della badia

 

 

The Museum was established in 1975 and offers a complete view of the Etrusco-Roman city of Vulci.

The Badia Castle, which houses the Museum, has been a building since the 9th century, when the fortified Benedictine abbey of St. Mamilian rose on the site. There remains traces of this monastic outpost, it is also mentioned in some ancient documents and in it’s name.

The castle was subject of contention until 1430, when it was assigned to the Farnese family. It is likely that cardinal Alessandro Farnese is the one who had the present building erected.

With the fall of the Duchy of Castro, the Castle was reintegrated into the possessions of the Camera Apostolica and was used as the main office of the papal customs with the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.

In the 19th century, the castle first belonged to Luciano Bonaparte and then, from 1853, to the Torlonia family. In the 1960s the Castle was bought by the State in order to house the Archaeological Museum of Vulci.